Academic Dabbler: Though you have yet to choose a specialty, you have gained a basic understanding of most academic fields. Even if you can't find an answer straight away, you'll at least know what to look for. (Gain bonus to all Knowledge checks)
----------------------------------------------------------
You arrive at the testing chamber with a few minutes left to spare. All around you are young men and women, all preparing for the test in their own ways.
You spot a group sitting together in a corner whispering answers and exam tips among themselves. Near the entrance, a guy dressed in 'cool' and 'hip' clothes leans against the wall nonchalantly as he plays with his phone. Next to him, a girl flips through a book while chewing loudly on a stick of bubblegum.
Hmm, strange. You can't see - ah, there they are.
"Blue! What took you so long!" your friend pouts. "We were starting to get worried!"
"Sorry, sorry." you tried to smile reassuringly. Red was a nice girl, but she tended to get flustered too easily. "I just lost track of time."
"Oh? What happened?" Your... other friend spoke up. "Did the Kitsune paint your hair pink again?"
Ugh. Did he have to remind you? "That was one time, Gold. I can't believe you're still bringing it up after all these years."
He smirked. "Why wouldn't I? After all, I still have pictures."
Sometimes, you wonder why you hang around him. Gold was such an asshole sometimes.
"You still have pictures?" Red exclaimed, smiling widely. "Let me see! Let me see!"
Correction. Both your friends were assholes.
"So!" you exclaimed loudly. "Who's ready for the big test today? You guys read the notes I sent you, right?"
"Of course I did!" Red said, giving you a thumbs up. "Even if I fell asleep halfway through, I'm sure they helped a lot!"
... You're not sure why you're surprised. Red was many things, but 'studious' was not among them. "At least you're honest about it. How 'bout you, Gold?"
"Well... uh, of course I read the notes you sent me." he said, refusing to meet your eye. "All... two hundred and sixteen pages. After all, only a complete cad would have forgotten about..." You remained silent, just staring at him flatly. To his credit, he managed to keep his expression perfectly calm.
He was sweating, though.
Slowly and deliberately, Gold checked his watch, his eyes widening in oh-so-fake surprise. "Oh, look at the time! I think the test is about to start. Quick, we need to find our places."
Shaking your head at his retreating form, you turned towards Red. "He really needs to take acting classes or something. That was just sad."
"Shh! Don't tell him!" your friend giggled. "We should let him figure out on his own."
"Sure." you smirked. "You ready for this?"
"I was born ready!" Red posed dramatically. "Let's go in and kick some ass!"
---------------------------------------
You stared at the paper, unable to believe what you were reading.
Question 1: What is a Fire element pokegirl weak to?
a) Plant
b) Ghost
c) Water
d) Steel
Well, ok then. An easy question to start off with. Makes sense. Circling "C", you move on to the next question.
Question 2: Which of the following is a Menace pokegirl?
a) Widow
b) Catgirl
c) Bunnygirl
d) Titmouse
Still with the soft ball questions? Geez.
Question 3: Which of the following pokegirls are weak to the Electric element?
a) Team Rocket
b) Your mom
c) Sukube
d) Squirtity
Ok, who designed this test?!
Flipping through the rest of the pages, you realize that none of the other questions are any better. Any idiot with basic reading skills could complete this test!
Fuming silently at all the time you'd wasted studying, you go through the exam as quickly as possible, pausing only to double check your answers before handing them in. You barely resisted the urge to slam the door shut on your way out, still annoyed by the sheer level of stupidity you'd been subjected to.
"Oh, finished already, Blue?" Kiki smiled at you from behind the reception desk. "That was quick!"
"Are you sure that we were given the right exam sheets?" you couldn't help asking. "Those questions looked like they'd been written for pre-school kids!"
"Heh heh." the Doggirl chuckled nervously in the face of your anger. "Well, there's a reason the league says that they have a 99% pass rate, you know?"
Ugh. Really? Fucking politicians.
"The results won't be out till tomorrow, so you don't have to stay here any longer. Whatcha gonna do with the rest of the day?" Kiki asked.
"Well, I guess I should hang out with Red and Gold. Once we get our licenses, I doubt we'd be able to meet again so easily. In fact...
[] We'll hang out at Red's place.
[] We'll hang out at Gold's place
[] We'll hang out at my place


By the way, the Character Sheet's been updated.
ReplyDeleteWhat are the "Mind, Body, Soul" stats for?
ReplyDeleteI think we ought to go to Red's place.
Red's place works, though I will admit that I'd like to see more of the lab Blue comes from.
DeleteAnd I'll freely admit that I prefer the second of Ravni's character pic choices. :)
Also, I assume that Red and Gold are the two paths we didn't choose?
DeleteMind = Mental stuff
DeleteBody = Physical stuff
Soul = Social stuff
And yes, Red and Gold are the two backgrounds you didn't pick.
We can check out the lab later... probably. Red's it is. From the picture we should have been Red. Yes I write my own jokes, why do you ask?
DeleteOk, it looks like "Red's place" is winning right now. If anyone wants to add or change their vote, please do it soon. I'll get started on the next post once I get home from work.
ReplyDelete