----------------------------------------
"... and you're sure that this is safe?" you can't help asking, staring at the intricate design that the pokewoman was sketching onto the floor, dipping her bandages into a pot of strangely pungent paint and using them as makeshift paint brushes.
The Bandame scowled at you. "Look, just relax already, would you? David knows what he's doing."
The priest beside you sighed, shuffling through the papers in his arms. "Brianna, be polite. She has a right to be worried about her pokegirl."
"If you say so," the Ground/Ghost type shrugged, turning back to her work. "Alright, I've got the Heavenly Binding Sigil set up. Should we stick to the usual Spirit Ward or do you have something else in mind?"
"Hmm... maybe we need to adjust the runes a bit more..." the priest mused, frowning thoughtfully as he glanced towards the (thankfully unconscious) form of your Woodmouse. "I'm not sure if a normal ritual would cut it."
As the pair conferred over a thick sheaf of notes, you took the time to look over your poor possessed pokegirl. She looked almost peaceful now, asleep in the middle of a circle of runes. You really hoped that this thing worked.
"Alright, I think we're ready to begin," Father Uriah announced. "Miss Blue, if you would step outside the room for a moment..."
You nodded, already making your way towards the door. The priest had explained that it was better if there were as few people around as possible, since the ghost might decide to jump to another person's body if it realized what they were trying to do.
Pacing outside the door was pointless, but you felt... twitchy. A part of you couldn't help going back over the last few days, wondering how much of the current situation was your own fault. If you had signed up to travel in a group, if you had simply taken the main road, if you had turned back at the river... if, if, if.
You shook your head. No point getting stuck in past regrets. It wouldn't change anything in the here and now. Instead, you pulled out your pokedex. Might as well keep Red updated, after all. It took a minute or two to get a signal, and even after she picked up the call you had to strain to hear her voice behind the static interference.
"-llo? Can you hear me? Blue, is that you?"
"Yes, it's me. You alright there? There's a lot of static on the line."
"Oh, sor... I'm in... here... it's so cool. They got..."
"Red. Red? I can't hear you. Red!" Dammit, the line got cut.
A moment later, you received a text message.
Sorry Blue. I'm exploring some caves now! The signals really bad. cbl?
What the heck was she doing underground? You sent her a quick reply, promising to talk to her properly later before sighing and putting away your pokedex. Not much you could do at the moment. Your other girls were tucked away safely in their pokeballs. After the events of the last few days, you don't know if you're really ready to talk to them just yet.
Suddenly, a loud, piercing scream filled the air, emanating from behind the door where the exorcism was taking place. You shuddered, wrapping your hands around yourself as you tried not to think about what was going on back there.
You hoped that Ana was alright...
----------------------
"I'm sorry Miss Blue," the priest said gravely, wiping off the blood dribbling down his nose. "We tried our best, but it seems like the two of us alone didn't have enough power."
"Damned thing's sticking to the mousegirl like a limpet," Brainna grunted, keeping the possessed pokegirl wrapped up tight in her bandages. "Mind trying her pokeball?"
Fumbling slightly, you pulled out the correct pokeball from your belt and pointed it towards the still thrashing pokegirl. A flash of light later, and she was gone. The Bandame slumped in relief. "Sheesh. What a mess."
"Indeed." Father Uriah sighed, wincing slightly as he rolled his shoulder. "It seems that removing the ghost will require more... drastic measures. You should take her to a church or shrine with an expert exorcist, preferably one with some strong ghost or divine pokegirls to back him up."
"Do you know any places like that?" you asked, trying not to cry as you stared at the pokeball in your hand. To think that Ana was stuck as a... a prisoner in her own body. It made you feel... well, really freaked out, to be honest.
Some tamer you turned out to be. Your very first trip into the wilderness, and this is what happens.
"None anywhere nearby, I'm afraid." the priest answered. "The Church's presence is rather weak in this region. I know that there are shrines and such that you can visit, but I've never gone to any myself. I'll pass you a letter containing some of the details of this case. If you find someone who can deal with this, I'm sure they'd appreciate the extra information."
"Thank you... for everything. I... do you need payment, or..."
"No need for that," Father Uriah said, waving off your concerns. "As a man of god, how could I possibly turn away someone in need?"
"We won't say no to donations, though," the Bandame snorted. "So what are your plans now, girl? You heading off straight away or do you want to stay here a little longer? I don't recommend travelling the roads at night. Even if you try sticking to the main road, it's all too easy to get lost."
You...
[] Head out immediately
- [] Fast, Moderate or Slow Pace?
- [] Choose two pokegirls to be out with you.
- [] Choose two pokegirls to be out with you.
[] Stay here for the night
- [] Speak to someone (Who?)
- [] Try to repay Father Uriah somehow
I think we'll stay here for the night. We are still in a bit of a hurry, but it's late enough we shouldn't really try making our way further.
ReplyDeletePerhaps spend some time with Isadora, try and convince her (and ourselves) that we're alright, both physically and emotionally (though being emotionally alright might involve some... bedtime comfort, If You Know What I Mean).
Agreed there
DeleteUpdate coming tomorrow.
Delete